Browsealoud - How to use guide Read Full Article

SEND Strategic Partnership Board minutes Read Full Article

SEND Local Offer Partnership Newsletter Read Full Article

Quick SEND Guides Read Full Article

Your EHCP Experience Read Full Article

Contact Details


01274 439500


Margaret McMillan Tower, Princes Way, Bradford, BD1 1NN


View Website

Leave a review about this service to help others

Children's Sensory and Physical Needs Service - Multi-Sensory Impairment Specialist Teacher

The Multi-Sensory Impairment Specialist Teacher supports children and young people who have are deaf and vision impaired. Support is provided from birth to 25 years of age (where appropriate). They may work with the child, their parents, carers and families, nursery or school staff and other professionals involved with the child.

Who provides the support?

A Qualified Teacher of children and young people with Multi-Sensory Impairment (QTMSI) who is a member of

the Low Incidence Team based at Margaret McMillan Tower.


What does the Specialist Multi-Sensory Impairment (MSI) Teacher do?

The Specialist MSI Teacher may visit children or young people in the home or at their nursery or school and will provide information, support, training and guidance to;

  • The parents, carers and families of Deafblind students and students with dual-sensory or multi-sensory impairment
  • Staff at the nursery or school the student attends
  • Other professionals involved with the student

The Specialist MSI teacher works in close liaison with members of the Support Team for Deaf Children and the Vision Impairment Outreach Team.


What can the MSI teacher help with?

Providing information and advice about;

Functional hearing and vision – how the student is using the vision and hearing they have, the kinds of things they can see and hear in different situations

Approaches to learning – how learning can be presented to help the student with sensory impairment to understand

Approaches to communication – ways to help students to learn to communicate when they have communication difficulties because of sensory impairment

Specialist equipment and skills that can help Deafblind students and students with dual or multi-sensory impairment to learn and become more independent

Contacts – signposting to other agencies or organisations that can offer help and advice about sensory impairment and to government guidance about Deafblindness and dual-sensory impairment


Contacting the MSI teacher

If you are concerned about your child’s vision or hearing you should first seek advice from your GP or health visitor.

If your child is supported by a member of the Support Team for Deaf Children or the Vision Impairment Outreach Team, their support teacher can make a referral to the MSI teacher with parental permission.

Class teachers or a Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) can refer a child to the MSI teacher with parental permission.

Rate this page to let us know how we can improve

Share on social media

Print this page

Bradford Local Offer Logo

The Bradford SEND Local Offer is a free and impartial service provided by Bradford Council. The information contained within the website is available for the purposes of identifying services and provision that are available to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities. This information does not represent a recommendation or an endorsement of a Service or Provider and neither does the Bradford Council or its partners make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy of the information.

Anyone seeking to use or access a service or provision is responsible for undertaking their own checks to determine the suitability and fitness for purpose of that service and provision. Some providers will be registered and inspected by external agencies, such as Ofsted or the Care Quality Commission. Anyone working with children and young people will be required to have appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service Check (the replacement for the Criminal Record Check), safeguarding policies and insurance in place, which they should make available to you on request.