Browsealoud - How to use guide Read Full Article

SEND Strategic Partnership Board minutes Read Full Article

SEND Local Offer Partnership Newsletter Read Full Article

Quick SEND Guides Read Full Article

Your EHCP Experience Read Full Article

Contact Details


01274 43 5750

Leave a review about this service to help others

What the Local Authority expects education settings to offer

Special Educational Needs and Disability

Once an early education setting or school has decided that your child has Special Educational Needs (SEND), step-by-step, specialist support can be brought in to help your child with their learning or a disability. The early education setting or school or college must tell you when they first start giving extra help for your child because your child has special educational needs and/or a disability.

The extra help could be a different way of teaching certain things, some help from an extra adult, perhaps in a small group, or use of particular equipment like a computer or a desk with a sloping top. In early education settings, schools and colleges this help is called the graduated approach.

If your child does not make enough progress, the teacher or the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) should then talk to you about asking for advice from other people outside the school. They might want to ask for help from, for example, a specialist teacher, an educational psychologist, a speech and language therapist or other health professionals.

If your child still does not seem to be making enough progress or needs a lot more extra help, the Local Authority may decide to carry out a more detailed assessment of your child’s needs. Your child’s school or early education setting or college can ask the Local Authority to carry out an assessment. They should always talk to you before asking the Local Authority to do this.  If you feel that your child’s school, college or early education setting cannot provide all the extra help that your child needs, or your child is not making enough progress and is falling further behind other children of the same age, you can ask the Local Authority to carry out an assessment.

Rate this page to let us know how we can improve

Share on social media

Print this page

Bradford Local Offer Logo

The Bradford SEND Local Offer is a free and impartial service provided by Bradford Council. The information contained within the website is available for the purposes of identifying services and provision that are available to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities. This information does not represent a recommendation or an endorsement of a Service or Provider and neither does the Bradford Council or its partners make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy of the information.

Anyone seeking to use or access a service or provision is responsible for undertaking their own checks to determine the suitability and fitness for purpose of that service and provision. Some providers will be registered and inspected by external agencies, such as Ofsted or the Care Quality Commission. Anyone working with children and young people will be required to have appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service Check (the replacement for the Criminal Record Check), safeguarding policies and insurance in place, which they should make available to you on request.