The Mental Health Champions project runs across all schools in the Bradford area. The project provides free support for schools in dealing with children and young people with low level mental health or emotional wellbeing difficulties. The project is not intended to replace specialist support, but is a way that schools can access information and guidance for staff carrying out their day to day roles and responsibilities.
The project is fully funded by the Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) in Bradford, and therefore costs to schools are entirely limited to releasing your staff from their time in school in order to attend sessions (minimum 6 per year). Bradford Council and the local CCGs expect all schools in Bradford to sign up to the project.
The project is managed and delivered by Bradford Educational Psychology Team, meaning that training and support is based on up to date research and evidence-based practice.
What the project offers to schools:
- Training for nominated Mental Health Champions written and delivered by the educational psychology team (6 sessions per year). We deliver these at sessions we call ‘Network Meetings’.
- Reflective group/peer supervision for Champions to discuss their case work (also at Network Meetings) facilitated by a member of the EP team.
- Opportunities for individual supervision for Champions to discuss their case work on a consultation-type model with an Educational Psychologist.
- General advice on and signposting to evidence-based interventions and psycho-educational resources for use in schools (at Network Meetings, via newsletters and through other general communication)
- Assembly presentations on MH related topics designed by the EP team given to schools for use with students
- Parent training and support groups relating to MH topics, provided by the EP Team (on a half-termly ‘hub’ basis)
In addition, this year:
- We will be a key source of advice, support and information from the Local Authority re Covid-19 recovery in schools in terms of mental health and emotional wellbeing.
- We will be disseminating key information from the CCGs including the new referral path-ways for CAMHS and the directory of mental health services available in Bradford.
Schools who are not yet signed up to the project can simply email MHChampions@bradford.gov.uk and ask to be added to the project.