Browsealoud - How to use guide Click Here

SEND Local Offer Partnership Newsletter Click Here

COVID-19 and EHC Plans Click Here

COVID-19 - Government guidance on vulnerable children and young people Click Here

COVID-19 - Support for Parents Click Here

Quick SEND Guides Click Here

COVID-19 - Opening Schools from 1st June guidance Click Here

COVID19 - Bradford School Provision as of 23 March 2020

20 Mar 2020,

Information for parents and carers about schools

 The government has announced that due to Coronavirus (Covid- 19), schools will close for most children from 20 March 2020.

The government has asked parents to keep their children at home, wherever possible.

• If it is at all possible for children to be at home, then they should be.

• If a child needs specialist support, is vulnerable or has a parent who is a critical worker, then educational provision will be available for them.

• Parents should not rely for childcare upon those who are advised to be in the stringent social distancing category such as grandparents, friends, or family members with underlying conditions.

• Residential special schools, boarding schools and special settings should continue to care for children wherever possible.

 All schools are expected to be open from Monday 23 March to provide childcare or education for the groups identified by the government.

Children may need to attend because they are vulnerable or they are children of key workers who can not safely be cared for at home. What is a key worker? 

If opening a school is not viable due to reduced staffing levels then Bradford Council will work with the school to ensure that the vulnerable pupils and children of key workers have a place in another school.

Each school will have their own individual arrangements for setting homework for pupils during the closure.

Special schools will be working with their parents to provide for their specific needs.

We will keep the situation under constant review and will update the website as soon as we know if the situation on the school closure changes.

Below is the latest health advice on coronavirus (COVID-19), some frequently asked questions and some contact information.

 Latest health advice

 Frequently asked questions

Why have you closed?

The government has taken the decision to close all schools across England because of the situation with coronavirus (COVID-19).

When will school be open again?

The government has not given a date for this. The situation will be kept under review and we will update our website and social media pages as soon as we get further information.

What is going to happen to my child?

Most children will be given work to do at home from their normal school. Your school will be in touch to provide further information of how that will be delivered, e.g. learning packs, online-learning.

If your child belongs to one of the vulnerable groups, they will have the opportunity to attend a school in your local community.

Who are the vulnerable groups?

They are:

  • children who are known to Social Services  
  • children with an Education, Health and Care Plan
  • children whose parents are required to work as they have been identified as key workers

However, if your child falls into one of these categories, BUT has complex health needs then you should follow Public Health England advice about social distancing. If you have any concerns, please contact your school or Bradford Council's children's services on 01274 435600 for advice.

What if my child meets the criteria to attend a local school, but requires support for longer than the school day?

If your child will be attending a local open school, they will be providing support and care outside normal school hours. 

Will my child’s Education, Health and Care Plan be reviewed during school closure?

All schools are provided with advice on how to undertake annual reviews if they are required. This includes how annual reviews can be made without a face-to-face meeting, e.g. telephone, email. 

How will I know if my child can still attend school?

The government has said that some schools will be open for the children of key workers and vulnerable children.

If you believe your child is in one of the vulnerable groups, or you are a key worker, your school should be contacting you. If you haven’t heard anything, you should contact them.

My child has been identified as being in one of the vulnerable groups and entitled to keep attending school but I want to keep them at home. Can I?

If your child is known to a social worker, the local authority may decide to make school attendance compulsory as part of a care plan.

If your child has complex health needs, and under Public Health England guidance should be social distancing, then they should stay home for up to 12 weeks.

If your child shows symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) they should self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days.

If your child has an Education, Health Care Plan, it is expected that they attend the allocated school, which may not be their normal school, unless they show symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) or have complex health needs, in which case they should stay home.

Any parents who are finding it difficult for their children to attend, should contact the SEN Assessment Team on 01274 435750.

I think I am a key worker, what do I do?

You need to check the list from government detailing who is a key worker.

If you are in doubt, contact your school or Bradford Council.

What if my school is shut?

If your school is closed then please contact the council on 01274 431000, so we can redirect you to a local school in your area that your child, or children, can attend.

What if I can’t care for my child?

If you are unable to care for your child, you need to seek the help and support of your family and extended networks. Should you require advice on how to do this safely please contact  Bradford Council's children's services on 01274 435600 for advice.

Should your child have an allocated social worker please contact the allocated social worker directly or the duty social worker for the area team.

What should I do if my child gets free school meals?

Schools are currently organising how the meals service can support families through this period.

When details have been confirmed, we will make this information available.

What if my child doesn’t get free school meals but I am having difficulty feeding them?

Contact your nearest local school that has remained open so that they can arrange for your child and/or you to have a meal.

A list of the open schools will be on the Bradford Council website from Monday. In the meantime, please contact your normal school for details of the open school in your community.

Will teachers and staff still be contactable if I need to speak to them?

Individual teachers may not be contactable, however, all schools will be contactable via the usual phone number. 

What about children with exams?

This summer’s exams have been cancelled. As soon as a national announcement is made on what the government and Ofqual (the people responsible for exams) plan to do we will let you know.

Other useful contact numbers

Contact us

Bradford Local Offer Logo

The Bradford SEND Local Offer is a free and impartial service provided by Bradford Council. The information contained within the website is available for the purposes of identifying services and provision that are available to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities. This information does not represent a recommendation or an endorsement of a Service or Provider and neither does the Bradford Council or its partners make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy of the information.

Anyone seeking to use or access a service or provision is responsible for undertaking their own checks to determine the suitability and fitness for purpose of that service and provision. Some providers will be registered and inspected by external agencies, such as Ofsted or the Care Quality Commission. Anyone working with children and young people will be required to have appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service Check (the replacement for the Criminal Record Check), safeguarding policies and insurance in place, which they should make available to you on request.