What's New How to use this site Making sense of SEND Information about Services & Safeguarding

How to use this site

Find Out What's New!

Educational Health Care Plans (EHCP)

Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

What is an Education and Health Care Plan?

The Children and Families Act 2014 came into force on 1 September 2014. This changes the way that Bradford Council and Health providers support children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. Here you will find further information about the changes.

The conversion from statements to EHC plans is currently taking place in Bradford district. All existing statements will be converted to EHC plans by April 2018 see timeline table below. For information about Bradford's Transition Plan click here

Information for parents/carers, young people or referrers considering making a request for Education Health Care Assessment (EHCA)

  • If your child attends a nursery, school, college or a specialist provision then in the first instance you must speak to the special educational needs coordinator (SENCo) and or Headteacher before requesting an EHC assessment (EHCA).

  • Alternatively if you and your child or young persons provision disagree that a EHCA request should be made, then you can request for an EHC assessment yourself using the Parent/Carer/Young person 16+ request for EHCA form at the bottom of this page within the resource file and If you would like to discuss a potential request for assessment please ring: 01274 435750 (SEND Services).

  • If you would like independent help, you may wish to get advice and support about SEND and EHCA from Bradford's Special Educational Needs & Disabilities Information and Advice Support Service (SENDIASS Barnardo's).  They can be contacted at Barnardo’s, 40-42 Listerhills Science Park, , Bradford, BD7 1HR, Telephone (01274) 513300 or email: Bradfordsendiass@barnardos.org.uk

    Twitter -  @BradfordSendias  

    Facebook - Bradford Sendiass

To request for a NHS Continuing Health Care Package

  • NHS Continuing Health Care Package is for adults, children and young people if they have needs arising from disability, accident or illness that can't be met by existing universal or specialist services alone. Find out more click here and to request for NHS Continuing Health Care Package use the Parent/Carer/Young person 16+ request for EHCA form at the bottom of this page within the resource file

Bradford's EHC Assessment Pathway (Single Integrated Pathway)

The EHC Assessment Pathway is a useful guide for parent/carers, young people and professionals to view Bradford local authorities EHC Assessment process and timelines, please view the EHCA Pathway document within the resource file at the bottom of this page.

EHC Request for Assessment form

Parent/carer and young person 16+ request for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) assessment form can be found at the bottom of this page, within the resource file section.

EHC Assessment request forms for professionals can be found at the bottom of this page within the resource file see SEND Referral Form/ SEND Referral Form 16plus. For further information about EHCP guide's and documents for professionals click here.

My Support Plan (MSP) Pilot

The Local Authority is currently piloting a process called My Support Plan (MSP) which aims to ensure that children and young people’s needs are met in a timely way and outcomes improved for this group of students for more information click here. To request an MSP please use the form EHCP/My Support Plan Request at the bottom of this page within the resource file.

Bradford's My Support Plan (MSP) Pathway

The My Support Plan (MSP) Pathway is a useful guide for parent/carers, young people and professionals to view Bradford local authorities MSP process and timelines. Please view the MSP Pathway document within the resource file at the bottom of this page.

Support for Parent/carers and young people requesting for an EHCA / MSP

Here you will find further information about the special educational needs and disability support service including how to request click here

Here you will find information about the Independent Parental Support that is available in the Bradford District and how you can access it click here

EHCP Peer Support Workshops

The EHCP Peer Support Workshop which has been organised in partnership with Parents Forum Bradford and Airedale, can give you support during the statutory assessment process as well as the opportunity to meet other parent/carers. Please view the EHCP workshop flyer at the bottom of this page within the resource file.

Useful document-Securing good quality advice for EHC Plans-The purpose of the document is to support local authorities (LAs) to set up processes that facilitate getting good social care advice. Social care teams need to have this in place to be able to adequately respond and contribute to good quality education, health and care (EHC) plans that meet both the letter and the spirit of the Children and Families Act 2014. To view the document click here.

Factsheet and FAQ on EHC plan eligibility for 19-25 year olds Click here to find out more

Further detailed information about Assessments, EHC plans and examples Click here

Bradford EHCP Survey's

We would to welcome and invite  parent/carers, children and young people and practitioners who already have an Education Health and Care Plan to take part in a EHCP survey  to ask for your help in finding out how Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP) and in some cases, personal budgets are working for children, young people, parent/carers and practitioners in Bradford for 2017/18. Locally, we will use the results of this survey to monitor how we are doing and how we can make improvements. We would be grateful if you could spare some of your time to complete one of the 3 relevant survey's click here

To find out more about Identifying and Assessing SEND view the "What Local Authorities expects Education Settings to Offer" section click here

EHC Plan refused? Right of Appeal

This decision may be of disappointment to you but please be assured that there are a number of ways children can be supported through the resources ordinarily available in schools and this refusal does not prevent you from making further requests for an EHC Needs Assessment in the future should you feel the provision are not meeting your child or young person's needs.

If you are unhappy with the decision of the Local Authority not to undertake an assessment of needs you have the right of appeal to the First Tier Tribunal (Education & Disability).You have two months from the date of this letter to register your appeal and this can be done by obtaining a Notice of Appeal form from the Tribunal directly. Your appeal must arrive with the HM Courts and Tribunal Service no later than the first working day, two months after the date of this letter. HM Courts and Tribunal Service contact details are 1st Floor, Darlington Magistrates’ Court, Parkgate, Darlington, DL1 1RU or sendistqueries@hmcts.gsi.gov.uk.

Before you register your appeal, you must contact a mediation advisor. The purpose is to consider whether mediation is a means of resolving your disagreement with the Local Authority.   This service is independent of the Local Authority and free to access.

The Mediation Service is provided by Collis Mediation Ltd Tel 07715 958290 email collismediationltd.com. If having spoken to the mediation advisor you do not wish to consider the use of mediation, you will be issued with a mediation certificate which will enable you to commence your appeal. You have a further month from receipt of the mediation certificate in which to lodge any appeal to the Tribunal.

If you would like independent help, you may wish to get advice and support about SEND and EHCA from Bradford's Special Educational Needs & Disabilities Information and Advice Support Service (SENDIASS Barnardo's).  They can be contacted at Barnardo’s, 40-42 Listerhills Science Park, , Bradford, BD7 1HR, telephone (01274) 513300 or email Bradfordsendiass@barnardos.org.uk


Twitter -  @BradfordSendias  

Facebook - Bradford Sendiass

Using these services does not prevent you from appealing to the Tribunal in regard to this decision.  Please do not hesitate to contact the SEN Officer should you wish to discuss this further.

What is a personal Budget? 

If your child has an EHC plan or has been assessed as having a Social Care need then you are entitled to request a personal budget. This is an amount of money your local authority (Council) has identified to meet the needs in your child's EHC plan. There is the option as a parent or carer to be involved in choosing and arranging how part of the provision to meet your child's needs is paid.

The legal frameworks for eligibility for personal budgets differ between adult and children’s legislation.  A personal budget represents all the resources that are available to meet the needs of an individual.  If someone qualifies for an education, health and care (EHC) plan there could be elements of support from all three services. 

A plan will provide a monetary value that is available, some of the provision may be in the form of a direct payment or all of it in the form of services commissioned by the council, particularly for education services. 

Resource allocation tools are being reviewed to ensure they better match the range of needs in the Bradford district. Adult Services will continue to offer direct payments and are looking to develop further options where a provider manages funds on behalf of one or more people.

On this website you will find a description of the services across education, health and social care that currently lend themselves to use of a personal budget. Parents of children with disabilities and disabled young people who receive packages of support following a social care assessment and/or Children's Continuing Health Care assessment can already request Direct Payments.

For further information about Personal Budgets Click here

For information on the SEND Pathfinder-Personal Budgets and examples Click here


How do Direct Payments work? 
The Support Option Team visit people once they have received a referral to set up a Direct Payment. The team goes through the full range of responsibilities in managing a Direct Payment. People may choose to manage the Direct Payment fully themselves. If they wish, people can also receive the following support through the Support Options Team in managing their budget: Referral to specialist payroll and accounting services, which offer a range of support including processing wages and calculating and deducting tax and national insurance contributions for any support staff employed through the Direct Payment; these service are also able to hold the funding for the Direct Payment recipient. The Support Options Team can also guide parents and young people through the Connect to Support Bradford website which contains a whole range of payroll and accounting services that people may wish to use. Support is also available from their allocated Worker and Connect to Support Bradford.

The Support Options Team work with parents and young people, once they have been allocated a budget, to calculate which portion of the budget is to be allocated to buying in services, paying for insurance, contingencies etc. Each Direct Payment undergoes a financial review at least annually, this is undertaken by Bradford Council’s Community Care Admin Team. The review is carried out to ensure that the Direct Payment funding has been used to meet eligible assessed care needs and that spend of the budget is accounted for. Information about the financial reviews are contained in the individual Direct Payment contract that each family/young person receives and is explained by the Support Options Team on initial and follow up visits. Where funding from Direct Payments is being used to employ support staff directly, it is compulsory of families/young people to purchase Employer’s Liability Insurance.

For more information about Direct Payments click here

Personal Budgets are optional for the child’s parent or the young person but local authorities are under a duty to prepare a budget when requested. The child’s parent or the young person has a right to request a Personal Budget, when the local authority has completed an EHC needs assessment and confirmed that it will prepare an EHC plan. They may also request a Personal Budget during a statutory review of an existing EHC plan. Where a direct payment is proposed for special educational provision, local authorities must secure the agreement of the early years setting, school or college, if any of the provision is to be delivered on their premises.

  • Support is provided through the allocated Worker, the Council's Support Options Team click here and Connect to Support click here


This page was last updated on 21/12/2018. This page has been viewed 12682 times.